Wednesday 25 February 2009

Workplace assessment

I had a visit from the Occupational Health workplace assessor today. She suggested a few immediate changes:

  • Lower my chair so that my thighs are horizontal. Very uncomfortable. Soon raised my chair again.
  • Use the detachable wrist rest on the keyboard and move the keyboard further away. This felt like I was stretching out too much, so that was quickly reversed.
  • Raise my adjustable desk. That actually hurt more, so it's back down to very low again.
  • Move my monitors about. So now, rather than having one monitor head-on and one off to the side, when I look directly ahead I now see the join - i.e. I have to turn to see either monitor. Unchanged for now but let's see how it goes.
  • Take anti-inflammatories (i.e. ibuprofen). I'd been worried that this might mask problems and make them worse later, but maybe it's ok.

Since then I've lowered the chair a touch and removed its arms. I was a bit surprised that she didn't suggest that.

I'm being referred to the OH physiotherapy service, and OH are going to look at providing me with a new chair, as the seat of my current chair is too short and doesn't tilt forwards, which I need.

They're also going to look at what alternative keyboards are available. I'd like to try one from Kinesis, as that looks like it would keep my wrists and forearms at the angle I find comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment